search envelope-o feed check
Home Unanswered Active Tags New Question
user comment-o

Custom Tag - how to?

Asked by Kim
6 years ago.

Hi, I'm trying to use the Calendar "tag" property to store custom values, coding in AngularJS.

The issue is that values I set are not kept after I update (move) the event. Below code is for testing - the intended use of tag.value is to hold a database id, to be able to update database records when events are moved.

I define a tag, "value", set it, and update the event:

dp.dataTagFields = "value";
dp.onEventMoved = function (args) {
console.log(args.e);
args.e.tag.value = 101;
dp.events.update(args.e);
};

Next time onEventMoved is called, tag.value does not exist. What am I missing?

Thanks

Comment posted by Kim
6 years ago.

Update: Using description here: https://api.daypilot.org/daypilot-event-data/, I have changed my code, to use args.e.data.tags instead of args.e.tag:

dp.dataTagFields = "value"; // <- REMOVED
dp.onEventMoved = function (args) {
console.log(args.e);
args.e.data.tags = {
value: 101
};
dp.events.update(args.e);
};

Testing on next onEventMoved with
console.log(args.e.tag("value"));

• > error: undefined

console.log(args.e.data.tags.value);

• > error: undefined

Answer posted by Dan Letecky [DayPilot]
6 years ago.

Your second example seems to work fine for me (in both AngularJS and plain JavaScript version).

Just a couple of comments:

1. As you have noticed already, dataTagFields is not used in the JavaScript version.

2. Typically, the database id is stored in "id" property of the source event object. That property is required - it is used to find and compare events. See also https://api.daypilot.org/daypilot-event-data/

3. If you are modifying args.e.data you don't need to call dp.events.update(args.e) - unless you want to redraw the event. The "data" object holds a reference to the original source object (from dp.events.list). So any change made to args.e.data will have an immediate effect. The calendar component only modifies the following fields (if necessary): start, end, resource. Other properties remain untouched.

4. You can also define custom properties directly on the source data object (instead of data.tags). Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the internal properties. Using data.tags makes that easier as "tags" is reserved for this purpose.

5. The data object will get replaced only if you reload the data (dp.events.list in JavaScript, "events" attribute in AngularJS).

Let me know if it still doesn't work.

Comment posted by Kim
6 years ago.

Thank you, Dan.
I found a couple of places where I did not use the correct property - ie. args.e.tags.value instead of correctly args.e.data.tags.value. After fixing those, db save works.

Thanks also for clarifying how to work with the component.

This question is more than 1 months old and has been closed. Please create a new question if you have anything to add.