search envelope-o feed check
Home Unanswered Active Tags New Question
user comment-o

IE Operation Aborted error with DayPilot Calendar

Asked by Sean
15 years ago.

Wehave been using the DayPilot Calendar for a few months now and we have three customers that have reported seeing an "Operation Aborted" error in IE.After searching the internet and this forum, I have found some information about this error and that it is a javascript error in IE only (support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927917). Since IE7 just throws the Operation Aborted error, it makes it extremly difficult to debug. I found a post that said the new IE8 beta version handles this error and allows you to debug the underlying javascript error.

We downloaded the IE8 beta and were able to find the javascript error on our customers site. The error is in the Calendar.js file. The section of code is "if($0n.rows.length>0)". There are no rows and IE8 displays a javascript error. The error is "HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)" After finding this error we used IE8 to see if we got the error on the Demo and IE8 shows the javascript error there as well. IE7 only randomly shows the Operation Aborted error, but IE8 shows the underlying javascript error each time.

I tried to see if there was a way to modify the calendar javascript to avoid this error, but was unable to find a solution. We need to find a solution to this as soon as possible since we have three customers in production with this problem. If you need any additional information let me know.

Thanks, Sean

Comment posted by Dan Letecky
15 years ago.
Hi Sean, Thanks for reporting the problem.

Can you please describe the steps to reproduce the issue in IE8?
1. What's the page (in the demo) you were testing?
2. Does it happen after a first page load or after a specific action?
Comment posted by Sean
15 years ago.

In IE8 I got the error on the page load. I just went tohttp://www.daypilot.org/demo/Calendar/, and during the page load the error is thrown. That page was the first one I went to, butit looks like it happens for all of the Calendar demo pages when the calendar is loading.The error happens when the page is loading. The calendar starts to load and then the error is thrown and the calendar does not finish loading.

Thanks, Sean

15 years ago.
Thanks. I've added a test for .rows but it didn't help. It seems that the problem is that the drawTable() method is executed before the page is fully loaded. I'll try to delay it a little bit.
Comment posted by Sean
15 years ago.
Thanks for looking into this and helping us out. Will we be able to get a patch or a new build that contains a fix for this.
Comment posted by Anonymous
15 years ago.

Hi,

We had this problem for a while.

We were using a master page and loading in ascx files containing the daypilot controls. We were also using ajax and update panels.

What we found was that to reproduce we needed to be running a system where it took longer to download the HTML than to execute the scripts on the page.

The cause of the problem for us wasthe DayPilot control in the UIMaster page (which had to be there to prevent a daypilot control not found error). This tried to modify the DOM as soon as itwas placed on the page, which may or may not be after the page has finished downloading.

This wasfixed by putting the daypilot control in the master page in a non-visible div that is run at the server.

This has worked for us and we haven't had the problem reoccur at all. Hopefully there might be something on this that can help you.

Darren

15 years ago.
Darren, thanks for your input.

While it doesn't seem to be such a big problem in IE7 (it happens rarely), IE8 throws JavaScript errors on every page load. I was trying to delay the script execution until the page was fully loaded (document.readyState == 'interactive' or 'complete') but it doesn't work so far.

The problem occurs on several places in Calendar.js and it's always related to accessing a .rows collection of a HTML table element.

So I have no solution at the moment but DayPilot will have to be IE8 compatible sooner or later. Hopefully the IE7 crashes and IE8 errors are symptoms of the same problem.
Comment posted by Sean
15 years ago.
Dan -- Have you been able to find a solution for this yet?
15 years ago.
The solution for DayPilotCalendar is now available in DayPilot Pro 4.9 SP3. Please let me know if the problems appears in this or any following release.
This question is more than 1 months old and has been closed. Please create a new question if you have anything to add.