search envelope-o feed check
Home Unanswered Active Tags New Question
user comment-o

Feel really dumb. How to create a project in VS2005 using source code

Asked by Anonymous
13 years ago.

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to programming, and have been asked by a client to build a calendar application. I'd like to use DayPilot Lite as a launching point. I downloaded and unzipped the files and the demo works great, but I don't know how to start a new project and use the source code to start developing against.

I realize this is 101 stuff, so I appreciate any help.

Justin

Answer posted by Dan Letecky
13 years ago.

Hi Justin,

Please take a look at www.daypilot.org/tutorial.html. It's a step by step tutorial that might help. Please let me know if there is something not clear enough in the tutorial.

Comment posted by Anonymous
13 years ago.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response. I guess I'm a bit confused. What I'd like to do is take DayPilot Lite and build on it (really, we're just too poor to buy DayPilot, so we're going to try to develop our own functionality on top of your great product).

Here's where my ignorance comes in. My understanding is that the .dll is just compiled source code. That means I don't want to reference it in a project if I want to modify the code and introduce new functionality. I guess I thought that's why you included the "Source" folder - so that I could add new code to it, compile it, and create my own "DayPilot Custom" application. Am I wrong in that?

If my understanding was correct, I guess my question is how to go about modifying the source code. When I open the DayPilot Lite "Source" folder in VS2005, there is a "Properties" folder, a "References" folder, a "Utils" folder, and a "Web" folder. You obviously know that the Utils and Web folder are full of .cs files that make up the various classes for your app. But how do I create a project where I can modify the code and test out my changes.

I'm sorry; I know this is really basic stuff. I've just never dealt with an open source project before, so I don't know what to do with the code you've provided.

Thanks for your patience and help. I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Justin

Answer posted by Dan Letecky
13 years ago.

Justin, In the Source directory, there is also a file called DayPilot.csproj. If you just open that using VS 2005 it will open the project with all the necessary files included. You can compile it by simply pressing Ctrl-Shift-B. This will produce a new DLL.

Is that what you were looking for?

Comment posted by Anonymous
13 years ago.

Dan,

I bet it is. What I've determined is that I'm in a bit over my head. My guess is that I can take those files in the .csproj file, modify them, and build a "new" app, but I still don't know how I would build a UI so that I could see if my programming changes were working.

Really, I need to start back at step one. thanks for your help, though. I appreciate your responsiveness.

Justin

This question is more than 1 months old and has been closed. Please create a new question if you have anything to add.