search envelope-o feed check
Home Unanswered Active Tags New Question
user comment-o

IE6/IE7 Memory Usage

Asked by Paul
13 years ago.

Hi,

We're currently building a scheduling app for a client. We have found that with reasonable of resources returned (e.g. 50-100) and a reasonable amount of appointments, the memory usage/performance of the browser increases until the web app is virtually unusable.

Any performance tips for this situation? DayPilot is billed as compatible with IE6 and 7 so this situation should be possible.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment posted by Dan Letecky
13 years ago.

Paul,

I have several questions:

1. Do you experience the same problem with IE8, Firefox or other browsers?

2. What is the number of events you are showing?

3. Do you use dynamic event loading (DynamicLoading="true")?

Comment posted by Paul
13 years ago.

Dan,

In response to your queries:

1) Other browsers such as firefox, IE8, and chrome show increased memory usage over a period of time using the scheduler, but this isn't performance affecting (or not as obvious as in IE6/7).

2) The issue occurs even if there are no events shown on the scheduler, just a number of resources (say 50), and their working hours (calculated via an event handler). Memory usage increase per postback can be as much as 10mb.

3) We don't use dynamic event loading - this option causes the memory load to increase as before, but has the side-effect of not showing any working hours for resources.

The main issue is performance degradation on IE6 and memory usage (e.g. not releasing the memory) in IE7. We had update panels doing async postbacks, but these had to be removed because updates were taking 2+ minutes on IE6 (initial load was in the region of 10-20 seconds)

Customer reports overall application performance becomes unusable after a period of 1-2 hours work, which we need to rectify before the app can go live.

Regards,

Paul

Comment posted by Paul
13 years ago.

Further update...

Experimenting on your demo page (http://www.daypilot.org/demo/Scheduler/) it can be observed that in IE7, memory usage increases by around 6mb for each refresh, IE6's memory increases by around the same... IE8 is a couple of hundred KB

Any tips on how to reduce this footprint for older browsers?

Regards,

Paul

13 years ago.

Thanks for the update.

I will need to spend some time on this... It looks like there might be a memory leak somewhere. Although the DayPilot code prevents leaks caused by known IE bugs, there might be something missing yet. I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done outside of the control itself.

Comment posted by Anonymous
13 years ago.

Hi Dan,

Any results from your initial investigation?

Regards,

Paul

13 years ago.

I've found severa memoryl leaks. Build 5.9.2035 (see the sandbox) fixes the leaks of the initial rendering, partial PostBack (UpdatePanel) and most of the CallBack leaks. There are still a few leaks on CallBacks to be fixed.

Comment posted by Paul
13 years ago.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the effort. Looks good, however the current sandbox version seems to have an error somewhere in the script meaning I can't do an async postback to update the scheduler; I'm getting the following exception:

Uncaught TypeError: Object an HTMLDivElement has no method 'deleteEvents'

Thoughts? I'd like to release this to the customer's test platform as soon as possible.

13 years ago.

Paul,

Please try build 2036, this error should be fixed now.

Comment posted by Paul
13 years ago.

Thanks Dan, I'll evaluate this today and get back to you.

Regards,

Paul

Comment posted by Tom D
13 years ago.
I'm also having a problem with a memory leak in IE7 with the Scheduler. Every time I refresh or reload the scheduler, IE's memory usage jumps about 7 - 10 mb. Can you advise if there is a non-sandbox version that addresses this issue?
Comment posted by Stuart
13 years ago.

Hi guys,

Can you look at a memory leak when an appointment is rendered on the Scheduler control?

It happens in the latest release and I've profiled it in Sieve and we are getting leaks any time an appointment is generated - it doesn't happen if the schedule is empty.

It's not a large leak but our clients are sitting with the site open all day and it gradually kills performance. They are using IE7.

This question is more than 1 months old and has been closed. Please create a new question if you have anything to add.