search envelope-o feed check
Home Unanswered Active Tags New Question
user comment-o

DataTagFields - Want a server side only version (dont want data rendered for use in javascript)

Asked by Buzz
15 years ago.

Hi,

I want to pass a lot of different values to the BeforeEventRender method, in order to build up the display and apply various other options such as sidebar colours, it if can be moved, different menus etc.

This is possible using the DataTagFields setting, but from what I understand these option makes all the tags available to the client for use with JavaScript.

This would result in unnecessary information being sent to the client computer which has the following disadvantages.

1) Page size would be larger which could affect rendering speed or view state issues (especially with a lot of events)
2) Security issues - People may expose certain fields to the server side in order to perform the required actions, but may not want the user to gain access to these values by viewing code or running JavaScript.
I suggest you leave the current DataTagFields property (For people who need client side & server)
Add "DataTagFieldsServer" which wont expose the tag for use in JavaScript

Comment posted by Dan Letecky
15 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion, Buzz. This makes sense and I'm adding it to the list.

Comment posted by Richard
12 years ago.

Is there any update on this?

Answer posted by Dan Letecky [DayPilot]
12 years ago.

It should be available in the 6.6 release:

http://www.daypilot.org/daypilot-pro-6-6.html

12 years ago.

I think you've missed one: the DayPilotMonth has a DataServerTagFields property, but the DayPilot.Web.Ui.Events.Month.BeforeEventRenderEventArgs doesn't have a ServerTag property.

12 years ago.

OK, looks like that one's fixed in 6.7 SP2:
http://www.daypilot.org/daypilot-pro-for-asp-net-webforms-6-7-sp2.html
"[Month] DataServerTagFields accessible in BeforeEventRender (e.ServerTag). (build 2416)"

This question is more than 1 months old and has been closed. Please create a new question if you have anything to add.