search envelope-o feed check
Home Unanswered Active Tags New Question
user comment-o

Resources in Scheduler

Asked by Jeremy
15 years ago.

First off I must say this is an excellent control. Thanks for the effort and support.

I have been tasked with a project in which I will be creating a booking application for vehicle testing. One requirement is that multiple vehicles be scheduled at the same facility at the same time depending on their vehicle type. For example,a facility can performtests on 4 cars in 1 hour, but only 2 buses in an hour (because two employees must work on a single bus).

One idea I had was to use the scheduler and create 4 resources for each facility but I don't see a way to make a tasks span multiple resources i.e. if a bus was scheduled, show the item across two resources so that the booking application would not allow overbooking.

I'm not looking for detailed source code or anything, just curious if this scenario/requirement can be implemented via the scheduler control. Thanks again for the great product!

Comment posted by Dan Letecky
15 years ago.

Hi Jeremy, and thanks.

There is no way to make the event span several resources (as one box). It seems that you would have to use four resources and place bus testing into two resources (it will appear as two events).

This scenario, however, seems to be quite common: One event is booked for several resources at once. I'm still looking for a way to visualize it (that means making clear that several separate event boxes mean just one event). One of the possibilities is to group the events using a special attribute and highlight them all when you put your mouse over one of them. But this is not still the elegant solution I'm looking for.

Making it just one box that spans several resources would work in some cases (including yours) but it's quite complicated to implement and it wouldn't be universal anyway.

This question is more than 1 months old and has been closed. Please create a new question if you have anything to add.